Tuesday, March 29, 2011

New Ways to Exercise

For my Fitness and Wellness class, we recently had an outside class assignment to go to two local gyms and take fitness classes. It was a really awesome experience because the classes were free and I found two new types of exercise I really enjoy! I'm going to tell you a little bit about each class I took and give a few tips for those of you who are interested in trying a class, but haven't before.

Step Aerobics

This class was an hour long and it was straight cardio with a short ab workout at the end. Normally, this type of class plays really upbeat techno or hip hop music to get your body in the mood to move. It involves using a small platform that you use to step up onto in various routines. The key for first timers is to find a gym with a good instructor. It was my first time and she made sure I kept up through the routines.

My tip: It was a great way to start off the day. Bring a few friends along and it will be a blast.


Spinning

If you prefer a more laid back, simple workout, spin is not for you. This class was about an hour long, and like the step class the instructor plays upbeat, loud music to motivate you through the workout. The class started out with just a simple warm-up, pedaling slow and then progressed through various circuits where you sprint, stand up and pedal and squat while pedaling. It was extremely challenging, but very rewarding and enjoyable.

My tip: Go with a friend so that you can both challenge each other throughout the workout. Also, buy a seat cushion if you don't want a sore bum the next day!


If it wouldn't have been an assignment for class, I probably never would have taken the extra time to try these classes, especially by myself. Getting out of your comfort zone is hard, but afterwards you may find new friends or things you love. I know I'll be back at those gyms to take more classes this summer to make sure I'm ready for beach season!


The gyms I tried were:

No comments:

Post a Comment